Oven Dried Tomatoes


    Among the tomatoes that we planted this year, one plant was La Roma II Red. These are the biggest Romas I've seen - most of them being at least 3 inches long. They were meaty and worked well in a sauce when combined with other varieties of tomatoes, but I knew I wanted to dry some in the oven.
    I took about 36 tomatoes and after cutting off both ends, halved them and put them on a parchment-lined tray. Yay for parchment! It makes cleanup so much easier. I dusted the tomatoes lightly with pepper and Kosher salt and drizzled just a bit of olive oil over them.

    These went into a 300° F oven for 3 hours. Some of the bigger ones still had quite a bit of juice in them, so I turned the tomatoes and continued roasting them for another hour.
    This is what they looked like out of the oven. As soon as they had cooled some, I tried one, then another. And another. These are so flavorful! For lunch today I toasted a slice of french bread, added a little Dijon, some thinly sliced ham and topped it with three of the tomato halves. So good! I can't wait to use these tomatoes in recipes.
    Our summer garden has been dug up after a freeze last weekend. It looks so barren and sad...
    ... compared to what it looked like it its heyday. We planted the garden the end of May, so it's a short season up here; only four months. We did get plenty of goodies, though - zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, sweet onions, green onions, radishes, garlic, bell peppers, jalapenos, yellow peppers, and rhubarb.


    Here are some of the recipes I made with this year's harvest:
    Zucchini Pancakes
    Stuffed Zucchini
    Zucchini & Tomato Saute
    Sauteed Radishes
    Fresh Spinach Frittata
    Stuffed Bell Peppers
    Rhubarb Pie
    Tomato Soup
    Piccalilli (made with green tomatoes)
    Stuffed Tomatoes with Bleu Cheese

Post Title

Oven Dried Tomatoes


Post URL

http://michelle-maxwel.blogspot.com/2010/10/oven-dried-tomatoes.html


Visit Michelle Maxwell for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive